ADDED 12-5

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Adrenaline Junkie

I wrote in my last post that I might be an adventure junkie and I realize that may also mean I am an adrenaline junkie. For as far back as I can remember, I have been one to push the envelope. I like to see how close I can come to the deadline without being late, seeing how far I can put off studying before I prep for the test, etc. I love the rush of cutting it close, and having to figure things out on the fly. I work well under pressure and always feel a lot more accomplished than if I had done it ahead of time. (Actually, I can't confirm that last statement since I can't remember ever completing something well ahead of time!) Maybe I am simply justifying my procrastination and laziness? Nah.

A few days ago was no different. For my international flight from Fort Lauderdale International to Cartagena, Colombia, I decided two hours was more than enough time even though the airline said "arrive at least three hours prior". The luggage weight limit was 40lbs, and I had managed to get it to exactly that. After standing in line for about 15 minutes, a lady with a walkie talkie asked where I was going, and when I said Cartagena she immediately pulled me out of line and put me into a speed lane. Awesome, I like short lines. It turned out to be a very good thing that she had done that because when I got the the counter, Miss Terry with Spirit Airlines asked about my "proof of return or onward journey". Uhhh... oops. I knew that this was a "requirement" but I had done some research and decided it was more of a "suggestion". Wrong answer. None of my charm worked on Terry, so I had to either buy a non-refundable ticket from her, or go sit down with my computer and book something on my own and email it to her. I decided to take the latter route since I didn't feel like throwing away $250 on a ticket I wasn't planning on using. Luckily, the Fort Lauderdale International Airport has free WIFI in terminal 4 so I was able to search for stuff. I had 30 minutes until the baggage cut-off and 45 minutes until they began boarding. Plenty of time.

As it turned out however, that was barely enough time. I couldn't find a bus journey, and it took me a while to find a refundable ticket. With three minutes to cut-off I ran back to Terry and asked her ever-so-kindly to check my bag in while I finished purchasing the ticket. She agreed that was a good idea. But I still needed to email her proof before she would give me my boarding pass. When I finally got back to the counter she was helping a thin, middle-aged man with shoulder length silver hair, adorned in gold jewelry (think Mr. T) and paying for three additional bags from a roll of cash. He described himself as an Independent Business Owner (he left Terry a business card that I was able to see) and he was on his way to Medellín. Hmmm...

By the time I finally got my boarding pass, they had already begun boarding and I still needed to get through security. Thankfully the line was short and there were only three people in front of me to go through the metal detector. Unfortunately, one of them was Mr. Medellín. Between his 15 gold chains, 8 rings, and wrist-full of bracelets, there was no way he was going to make it through. Each time the machine beeped he seemed confused and removed something else from his pocket - a small key, a pack of gum. Finally, after four slow unsuccessful attempts they pulled him aside for additional screening. And off I go! I had just enough time to grab a muffin and a coffee at a kiosk before boarding my plane. Made it again! :)

To date, I have never yet missed a flight, whether traveling for work or for pleasure (knock on wood!) despite many  close calls. Why do I continue to do this to myself? How hard would it be to arrive thirty minutes earlier, or spend ten minutes booking a fake onward journey? Perhaps it's just that I love to travel, and that it is so much more fun when my heart is racing thinking that this just might be the day when I finally miss a flight. :)

(By the way, they never did ask me for any proof of onward travel when I arrived in Cartagena like Terry said they would. I guess it was it was more of a "suggestion" after all!)

2 comments:

  1. Ahh. Here's to the vicarious delirium of the procreant's adrenalin rush! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad your days with the Meetings Group (and all that rushing around airports) comes in handy sometimes. Travel safely Mr. Pongo!

    Best,
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete