ADDED 12-5

Saturday, July 30, 2011

People-watching

I love people-watching. It is probably my favorite sport. Some people hunt crocodiles for fun, I watch people. You can watch the human beast in it's natural habitat, doing things that may not be that interesting at first glance, but upon analysis, can give good insight into the normal practices of the species, and the creature's tribe.

People watching in Paris
People-watching is generally a sport practiced at places with high foot traffic, and with few hiding places. You don't want the creature to simply hide in it's cave the whole time, like the gorillas at the zoo have a tendency to do. Airports and other transit stations are great places for this, but here you may be seeing many foreign species that have been introduced to the location, and are not in fact natives to the region. I like spots where there is a good mix of native and non-native creature-traffic. City centers are often the best for this. I am a huge fan of sitting at an outdoor cafe/restaurant and watching for a few hours while enjoying my food and beverage.

People watching in Morocco
It can be a very cheap sport to practice, but lately, it is getting more and more costly. No, I don't need a new uniform or gear, but the best people watching is done outside, and here in Spain you actually pay MORE to sit outside. You can order the same exact coffee, beer, water, or food, and if you eat it on the terrace, you pay up to 25% more. (In Marrakech, there was one place we had to pay an entrance fee!) At first I found this a little strange. I could go inside, and have nice air conditioning, or pay more to sit in the heat. Hmmm... But it actually makes perfect sense. We are animals that don't like to be caged. If I have to pay a few dollars more to be rid of the bars and chains, it will be done. Not only that, I get to be outside with all the other liberated creatures and watch them carrying out their normal routines.

As I sit here in Seville, Spain, outside a restaurant in 97F/ 36C with 40% humidity, sweating profusely and listening to the construction 30 feet away, I think: those few extra dollars are totally worth it!

1 comment:

  1. I love LOVE people watching. It is such great entertainment and I don't mean that in a spiteful mean way. You can just get lost in making up and assume their back stories. I'm always kind of sad when my beverage is done and I have no excuse to sit an stare anymore!

    ReplyDelete