ADDED 12-5

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Called out

The beauty of writing down your goals/resolutions/dreams is not only that you have something to shoot for, but you have something to look back on and measure progress. The beauty (and subsequent challenge) of sharing this with others is that they can now "call you out" if you are falling short. And that's what family and friends SHOULD do. They should support and applaud you when you are achieving; and help to push you forward when you are stumbling. I've heard many a person say: "well, they are an adult, they can do what they want", but I say "Rubbish!" If a friend tells me they are going to do something or want to do something, then I will do my best to ensure they reach that goal - keeping them in check when necessary. I have frequently torn cigarettes out of the hands of friends that are "quitting" only to face argument and excuses - there is always the occasional "thank you" as well. If you didn't mean it and you don't want help, then don't tell anyone.

I have been called out. In my New Years post, I said that I wanted to stay in touch with people more than I had been, and that I wanted to post four blog posts a month. Well, I have sent many more emails than I had in the past, but I haven't come close to my goal on posting four times a month. At the time, one a week didn't sound like much, but now it seems like a workload! However, even taking measure of my current situation I refuse to say that my goal was unrealistic - YET. Granted I have been working on other things at the same time, but I have still had plenty of opportunity to keep good on my pledges. So to the people that have the guts to call out your family and friends, thank you. I appreciate it, and your other friends will too, even if they don't admit it! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment