ADDED 12-5

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Moving on up

Nearly two weeks ago I began my journey, starting in Oslo and knowing that I would continue on North. Norway is a long country, not very wide, but long. From Oslo to Tromso (where I was going) is about the same distance as Oslo to Rome. In other words, it is pretty darn far away.

Tromsø is the largest city north of the Arctic Circle at 60,000 inhabitants. By American standards it is a town, but here in Norway, it is considered the "Paris of the North". It has one University, one hospital, and MANY bars and nightclubs. For comparison: I grew up in a town of 125,000 people and there were a handful of bars, and only two were ones that you would go to. Here, there are bars for the the ones that want to strut their stuff (think Scottsdale), there are bars for the ones that want to watch an underground band, and there are bars for those that just want to enjoy and be themselves. There are festivals, and there are concerts. It is a vibrant town where there are only two the three months of true summer meaning the sun actually shines and the rest of the time it is dark most of the time. But it is actually ALIVE at night, not to mention beautiful during the day.

View of Tromsø
Downtown Tromsø




Prior to going to Tromsø I knew no one there. I trusted hoped that CouchSurfing would get me by, and if not, I was prepared to pay for a hostel or hotel or just sleep in the street. That wasn't necessary. While in Oslo, my brother and I were in the center of town at a festival and we happened to run into a friend of his from high school. The friend was with his girlfriend, and the four of us decided to go grab a drink together. During our conversation I told her my story and that I was headed up to Tromso in a few days. She immediately said that I had to meet a friend of hers and got on her phone to call. I was skeptical at first, but hoped that it would work out. It is always nice to have at least some connection. As it turned out, her friend was willing to let me stay with her family for a couple of days while I was there.

The family I stayed with even more amazing than the story of how we came to be. They were warm, welcoming, and loving. I felt accepted right away. They took me out, I met their friends, we went hiking, they made me dinner. I read with the kids actually, I made ridiculous noises while trying to sound out the words but the older daughter just kindly encouraged me. We shared hours of converation, laughter and philosopies.The children took to me, and I took to them. I fell in love with the entire family. We didn't know each other a week ago, and now, we are friends for life!

My final night I was leaving town via boat at 0130 (yes, as in, middle of the night). We decided to go out to the bars near the docks and I would just walk over when it was time. As I said my goodbyes I hugged Barbro, and Christian said he would accompany me - good thing, because after the drinks, I might have gotten lost! As we walked along in the rain, in light conversation, he slyly pulled a beer out of his coat. He had smuggled it from the bar. We sipped it as we made our way to the pier where my boat to Svolvaer would depart. As we came to the docks with just a gulp left in the mug, he passed it to me and said "You must finish it and throw it out there. It is tradition. That way, you have left your mark on Tromsø." And as soon as I did it he said "or at least your fingerprints! hahaha!" What a great end to my trip here. I could not have asked for more. I might have seen more of the island, I might have hiked more, I might have gone out more; but none of that would have left me with the friends I have now!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a nice place. Safe travels

    ReplyDelete
  2. And that is how you get to the heart of the world. :) Mom

    ReplyDelete