ADDED 12-5

Thursday, August 5, 2010

From fantasy to reality

Two years ago I had a vision. I was snowboarding in Mammoth, CA and I came around a bend and saw a breathtaking view. I thought of how few hard working people take advantage of the small wonders all around us. Two days later I was watching the sunset in San Diego, sipping a beer and thinking that I had to be back at work in two weeks. How awesome would it be to enjoy that view without that "work" thought in the back of my mind? I made the decision then that I should go travel, now the only thing I had to do was quit work, the Marines, sell my car, rent my house, store my things... Piece of cake. Two years later, I've taken the plunge!

I am now trading in a cushy life. For the past few years, I have enjoyed some luxuries as a function of work that I was very fortunate to have. I had STATUS. If you've seen the movie Up in the Air, then you know how important status and points are to a traveler. Below is a snapshot of some of the "elite" status I am departing from!



I now give it up in exchange for broader experience, richer living, and a more simple life. I begin this journey in Oslo Norway on August 5th 2010. I will keep posting with my travels, learnings, and experiences!

By the way, I will happily and shamelessly visit and stay with friends of friends of friends! I am a great guest (at least I think so!) and love meeting new people. If you would like to recommend a location to visit, a family member to stay with, or simply a friend to meet up with, don't be shy, just let me know! :)

6 comments:

  1. Good stuff buddy! I'm glad it all worked out and your adventure has begun. The world is about to meet one of it's greatest inhabitants! I wish you safe travels, can't wait to read and hear all about it! Love you buddy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! So the guy version of "Eat, Pray, Love"! Seriously, that takes some guts, enjoy the journey, I'm sure it will be the most amazing time of your life! I can't wait to read the updates! ~Sheryl

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wheeler Spalding and Susan Roberts in Singapore. Glad you got this running. Holis Kosco in Jordan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So excited to read your blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Estoy seguro que la pasarĂ¡s muuy bien!, sigue subiendo fotos!... Llego a Paris este viernes 20 de Agosto. yeahhh!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on stepping out to the unknown! It's not an easy decision, but I'm sure your experiences will have an everlasting impact on your life and perspective. Have fun! ;)

    ReplyDelete