ADDED 12-5

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

I won the lottery!

One week ago, I crossed the official two month mark since I started my journey. I have traveled through Scandanavia, the Baltics, Poland, Czech Republic, and am on my way to Greece. I am just two months in to a planned one year tour around the globe - that is completely arbitrary by the way, it could easily be more or less than a year. Most people are genuinely happy for me and wish they too could travel around for a year and want to know how to do it themselves. Some just wonder (either out loud or just with their eyes) how I can afford to do it - am I independently wealthy, a trust fund baby, or a bank robber. My answer often times is: "I won the lottery!" Alas, this is not the case, I am in fact spending my own hard earned (or easily earned) money. However, I can still say I won the lottery, or perhaps it is more accurate to say "I hit the jackpot".

While I prepared for this trip during the past two years - both mentally and financially, most of the time I kept saying, "I don't have enough, I need more". The reality however, is that I haven't spent nearly as much as I expected. In fact, it is surprising how little money you actually "need" to travel! Now, some people have written books on how you can do it on $2 a day, but that's not me. I definitely spend more than that, it IS Europe after all, but I also don't splurge... often. I save where I can, so if and when I really want to, I can spend somewhere else. But the biggest savings is probably what I have saved on lodging.

Train ride - Airing out laundry and sleeping
Believe it or not, in the 67 days I have been traveling, I have only paid for lodging five nights.  Thanks in large part to CouchSurfing.org. (This is not meant to be an advertisement, however I will shamelessly plug the organization because it is just THAT awesome!) I have met some amazing people and had some really wonderful experiences that are definitely worth every dime I would have spent in a hostel or hotel and yet, in essence, it is free. I rely on the generosity of people, most of whom I have never met or have any connection with, to open their homes to a complete stranger. Outside of CouchSurfing, I have stayed with friends, friends of family, friends of friends, people I've met at a bar, people I've met on a bus (yes, really)... I've also slept under a tree, on a bench, on busses, trains and boats. So when I say I have won the lottery, what I really mean, is that I have had a better experience, spending less money, thanks to the generosity of complete strangers. People all over the globe really are good! :)



Sidenote: Interested in connecting on CS? Here is a link to my profile: Me!


What money-saving travel tips do you have? Share your ideas/comments!

9 comments:

  1. Street food and a poncho liner is all you need

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know about all of this! I'll have to check out couchsurfing.org I hope you discover something great during your travels...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should write about do's and don'ts for CS hosts and guests.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ahhh, my honey...So good to read your stories

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm one of the genuinely happy for you (and envious ;-) )people you met! I want to assure you that I haven't thought you were a bank robber, lol! I wish you all the best for the rest of your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I almost did couch surfing once as well when I couldn't find a place in Paris... however, I'm hesitant as a female traveling alone... prove me wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jorge!! seems like you are having a blast!! Greece?? thats so cool! and really close to Israel, you are more than invited to come if you want to.
    My best wishes for your journey and keep living la vida loca!!
    Hadassa Samuels

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah yes Howard, I LOVE street food. You never know what it is, but it tastes so delicious! And believe me, I used a poncho the night I slept under a tree in the rain! :)

    There are lots of tips and hints on the CouchSurfing website if you are interested in being a good host/guest or concerned about safety. I've met lots of solo female travelers (Ines) that haven't had any problems at all! Just use your instincts! ;)

    Thanks for the comments all - next installment soon to come.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brotha.....you are my hero. This posting is so interesting. Enjoy seeing all your travels and the beard and the longer hair. Continued interesting and safe travels my friend!

    ReplyDelete